Thursday, August 27, 2015

Do I have to draw ya a picture?

Unsurprisingly, this just gets funnier:

“The book includes cartoon drawings of a woman masturbating and multiple women engaging in oral sex,” he writes. “If the book explored the same themes without sexual images or erotic language, I would have read it. But viewing pictures of sexual acts, regardless of the genders of the people involved, conflict with the inherent sacredness of sex.”

Right, because the book is dirty and has boobies in it.
Well, no; the problem is, the book has PICTURES in it!  I can read about hot sex (get this kid a copy of The Story of 'O', stat!  Believe me, the language in that book is anything but 'erotic.'  I, er, have a friend who told me.), but I can't see it!  Because God doesn't care about words, God only cares about pictures.

Which is funny, because according to some Jewish traditions, any depiction of the human form violates the laws of Moses, since humans are made in God's image, and the image of a human is a depiction of God, which is strictly forbidden.

And I guess that could get us into God having sex in those pictures.....

My mind is just not right, sometimes.  Anyway, what's funny here is the distinction we draw between pictures and words.  If I pull a potboiler novel off the shelves of a bookstore, the kind of thing cranked out every month under the same author's name (nobody is that prolific!), you'll stumble across a fairly explicit sex scene every three chapters or so.  Nobody blinks.  Now, film that same scene, exactly as presented in the novel, and suddenly you get an "R", if not NC-17 (or whatever replaced "X") rated film.

It's pictures that matter.

Because in the beginning was the Word, but the Word was not dirty....it was the pictures that came later that were dirty.  Which has something to do with Proust and a squid, but I'm not sure why....

2 comments:

  1. Just a jerk being a jerk and getting an op-ed in the WaPo because of it. Yet people wonder why I called out Duncan for putting money in Jeff Bezos' pockets.

    I saw a Stuck in Vermont about the musical of Fun Home, the music, not so much but the sets and actors looked great. I love Alison Bechdel and her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Beginning there was the Dirty Picture:

    http://www.imagiva.com/masaccio/the-expulsion-from-the-garden-of-eden-2.jpg

    ReplyDelete